SECRET OF A PLEASING SACRIFICE::: SATURDAY OF THE 31ST WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME

 Year A

Philippians 4:10-19

Psalm 112:1b-2.5-6.8a and 9 (R. 1a)

Luke 16:9-15

SECRET OF A PLEASING SACRIFICE 

Imitation of Christ, Book III, Chapter 18

"The Son of God became man in order to teach us how to suffer.  His sermons, His miracles, his private and public life had this as their end. By his Passion and Death on the Cross, Jesus merited heaven for us; but he also pointed out the way to get there, and this way is that which he himself followed.  His grace renders this way easier and meritorious to follow."

What way are we talking about? 

John 14:6

"I am the Way; I am Truth and Life "

Suffering, precisely Sacrifice.  Sacrifice is the way he showed us. His sacrifice is the way that opened heaven to us and leads us heaven.  Don't take my word for it, since the word of God is the way, let's see why we are called to a life of Sacrifice because God is always been Sacrificed for us.  


I repeat, God is always suffering for us because he Loves us.  And if he has called us to share in his life, to become co-heirs with him, then we are also to a life of sacrifice. You just carefully look at this two text;

John 19:34

"But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once blood and water came out "

And 

Revelation 22:1

"Then he showed me the river of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and the Lamb"

You don't need your imagination to run wild before you realize that God is suffering for us according to Revelation.  While he is on the throne in heaven, he is not really enjoying, or engulf with joy that he does not remember us. Is his Sacrifice and suffering for us that makes him our God. We mostly fail to recognize the suffering of God as the way of heaven.


Not that God can suffer or die, but through the human nature of Jesus Christ, God gets to know sin and suffering as a cancer patient knows cancer rather than how a cancer doctor knows cancer.



That is why I like the Song "Tears in Heaven," by Eric Patrick Clapton and Will Jennings.

Would you know my name

If I saw you in heaven?

Would it be the same

If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong and carry on

'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven


Would you hold my hand

If I saw you in heaven?

Would you help me stand

If I saw you in heaven?

I'll find my way through night and day

'Cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven


Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees

Time can break your heart, have you begging please, begging please

Beyond the door, there's peace, I'm sure

And I know there'll be no more tears in heaven


Would you know my name

If I saw you in heaven?

Would you be the same

If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong and carry on

'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven.


In this song, very interesting points are raised about Identity. "Would you know my name? Would you be the same?  The point is, if on earth we cannot sacrifice for others, get to know others and their suffering, how can we share with them heaven where all suffering of life poured out like Jesus Christ's blood flowing from the Cross becomes crystal living water. 


Is this life of Sacrifice that inspired St. Paul to say to the Philippians that he can do all things through Jesus  Christ who strengthens him. It's only the Sacrifice of Love that can make one be able to cope with all situations, becoming as though a Smoke. 


In fact, Love is the pleasing Smoke of the sacrifice that pleases God. Since Love is the only way to know God, Love is the only way to know heaven or enter heaven.

https://greatarkofresources.blogspot.com/2020/10/a-feast-of-fat-things28th-sunday-in.html



 As Jesus Christ talks about the fact that no one can serve both God and money, he stresses on how the sacrifice of Love is more important than the comfort of the world. You may have money but if it does not help others, you don't know Love. I repeat, you may be wealthy in all manner of ways, but if it does not contribute to the betterment of others, you do not know God.  


Like our misconception of Prayer, so is our misconception of heaven.  Our misconception about Prayer is to desire the gift from the giver than the giver of the gift. This has influence our understanding of heaven. We view heaven as a reward for good deeds, rather than having God. 


Remember this "I shall return to take you to myself (cf. John 14:3). Heaven is more than a reward, God is more than a reward, Love.


Think about it….


By Sylvester Amakye-Quayson 



Comments